Juices provide numerous benefits, and as more people are realizing these benefits, more types of juicers are hitting the market. It seems as if there are countless juicers to choose from, which can make finding the perfect juicer to meet your specific needs a difficult task. We have thoroughly assessed the juicer market and have a few helpful suggestions for you below.
Types of Juicers
There are three different types of juicers available:
- Masticating, or cold press, juicers
- Centrifugal juicers
- Citrus juicers
Each type offers a different, yet unique way to extract juice. They also provide various features, each of which are custom-tailored to meet a user’s specific needs. Here’s a look at the difference between each of these three types of juicers.
Also known as cold press juicers, this product extracts juice by squeezing it directly out of the produce that is placed in it. This type of juice is ideal for fruits and vegetables that have low amounts of water content. Masticating juicers are considered some of the highest quality juicers on the market and are ideal for those who consider themselves ‘juicing enthusiasts.’
A masticating juicer uses a slow process, which slowly juices and squeezes each and every drop of juice from the produce that it placed in it. This slow process ensures that your juices are jam-packed with high amounts of fiber, nutrients and antioxidants, which means that the juices made from this type of juicer provide exceptional health benefits.
Masticating juicers tend to run slowly, which allows them to grind and mash through fruits and vegetables with ease, getting the most juice possible. Some brands do offer a higher speed setting. These juicers come in a variety of sizes, though they do tend to be large and heavy.
In addition to making exceptionally healthy juices, masticating juicers are also very quiet.
Those who have just taken an interest in juicing, or those who want to juice quickly will find that centrifugal juicers are an excellent product to meet their needs. This type of juicer is excellent for produce that has a high water content, which allows them to extract juice quickly. They are also very easy to use and affordable; two things that beginning juicers will certainly like. Because they tend to have large feeders, the prep time that is required for juicing with a centrifugal juicer is usually low; they can handle larger chunks of food, which means less chopping, cutting and dicing is necessary. And, because they require less prep time, you can reap the benefits of juicing even when you are in a rush.
Centrifugal juicers typically only have two speeds: Low and high. The low speed is best for greens and soft fruits, while the high speed can be used for hard fruits. These juicers come in a variety of sizes.
These juicers are specifically designed to extract the juice from citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes. They are able to extract the juice from citrus fruits so that you can reap the benefits of these fruits in an easy to consume juice. Citrus juicers are also extremely easy to use; simply cut your fruit, place it in the feeder and flip the switch. You will be able to enjoy a fresh cup of citrus juice each and every morning with ease.
Citrus juicers are typically the smallest of the three different types of juicers, so they can easily be stored away or placed on a countertop without taking up a great deal of room.
There are certain factors that users should take into consideration when purchasing a juicer. These considerations include the following:
Power and Size
All juicers chop and pulp produce in one way or another, which allows them to extract more of the juice from the produce than squeezing alone allows. However, in order to successfully extract the juice, they need to have the right amount of power to properly do so.
In addition to the power the juicer has, the size also should be taken into consideration. For example, if you want your juicer to sit on your countertop without taking up an enormous amount of space, you will probably want to look for a smaller size. Likewise, if you plan on storing your juice between uses, you will probably want one that is lightweight so that you can easily move it in and out of the cabinet it will be stored in.
Ease of Use and Capacity
Having to constantly return to the machine to remove pulp will likely be an inconvenience. With that said, you will likely want to purchase a juicer that has a large capacity and you won’t need to empty the pulp out of every few minutes. Additionally, you may want to consider the how easy the machine is to clean up after each use. The easier it is to clean, the better.
When shopping for a juicer, you will find that there are a number of features available. Here’s a look at some of the top features that we believe a high quality juicer will offer.
You are going to want to take the speed of the juicer into consideration when choosing one that will meet your specific needs. Generally speaking, the slower the basket on the juicer spins, the more juice will be extracted from the fruit and/or vegetables. This means that you will be able to pull a high amount of nutrients and vitamins from the produce, which means that your juice will be healthier if you.
Juicers that have slow speed options tend to create the healthiest juice.
The more efficient your juicer is, the better. What makes a juicer efficient?
- Juice Extracted. The amount of juice that is extracted is certainly a important. Obviously, the more juice that is extracted from the fruit and/ or vegetables, the better. A sure sign that a juicer is sufficiently extracting juice from produce will create dry pulp.
- External Pulp Ejection. If you plan on juicing more than one serving at a time, this is an important feature. Juicers that contain an external pulp ejection feature will continuously expel pulp from the produce, which means that you don’t have to constantly stop the juicer to clean out the pulp basket.
- Feed Tube Size. As previously mentioned, the larger the feed tube, the less preparation is needed. In order to use a machine that has a small feed tube, you have to cut and chop the produce into small pieces. It also means that leaves have to be fed into the machine one at a time. If you want a minimum amount of prep time, make sure that the feed tube is large enough to take in a whole piece of fruit or a vegetable at one time, such as an apple, an orange or a cucumber. Generally speaking, the feed tube should be 3 inches or wider.
- Pulp Container Size. Larger pulp bins = greater efficiency. Why is this beneficial? Because it means that you won’t have to stop in the middle of juicing to empty the pulp container. This is particularly important if you plan on juicing a lot of produce at one time.
- Some juicers are able to do more than just juicing. For example, some juicers are able to process coffee beans, spices and even nuts. They can be used to puree food, too, which makes them a great option if you want to make purees, such as baby food.
- Just like any product that you invest in, the reliability of a juicer is extremely important. The last thing you want is to buy a juicer that will conk out after a few uses. In order to ensure that your juicer Is reliable, you want to make sure that the parts are high quality (stainless steel pieces are generally better than plastic components; plus, they are easier to clean.)
There are several brands of juicers on the market. After assessing each brand, we determined that the following were the best because they contain each of the above-mentioned features.
Omega produces some of the most powerful and reliable juicers available on the market today. The founder of the Omega, Robert Leo, took consumers needs into consideration to create products that would deliver exceptional results. They create centrifuge, masticating and citrus juicers.
What started as a small importer of basic items for the household in 1957, Breville has grown to be one of the most popular manufacturers of high quality juicers. They create masticating, centrifugal an citrus juicers.
For more than 30 years, Super Angels has been creating high quality, reliable and powerful masticating, centrifugal and citrus juicers, making them one of the most highly regarded manufacturers of juicers today.
Hamilton Beach has long been regarded for the exceptional small kitchen appliances that they create, and their juicers are certainly among the best. This manufacturer also creates masticating, citrus and centrifugal juicers.